Monday, September 24, 2012

GT Seminar 1: All About Being Gifted


   I guess you could say I'm gifted. I get straight A's, and still manage time to play travel softball, tennis, and even have time to hang out with friends. Concepts come easy to me, and I always look forward to learning something new. I guess you could say I'm gifted.

   According to this website, the term "gifted and talented", means students, children, or youth who give evidence of high achievement capability in areas such as intellectual, creative, artistic, or leadership capacity, or in specific academic fields, and who needs services or activities not ordinarily provided by the school in order to fully develop those capabilities. Luckily we do have a G&T program in our school. 

   To me, being gifted and talented means that you quickly understand concepts, and are very open to learning new ideas. No matter how it is written, being gifted is something special, I believe, and if one is gifted, they should embrace it, and use their gift to its fullest advantage.

   Being gifted, however, has some ups and downs. Some pros to being gifted include having a higher learning maturity, you are considered "smart", and certain lessons can come easier to you. This can make it easier for some students to get better grades. Though, being gifted can have some cons. Gifted children receive a lot of pressure. In my life, I know that I am extremely pressured! I am always compared to my younger brother. Our house has a sort of rivalry over grades. I am extremely competitive, and I feel like I can't lose anything. That's another downside to being gifted. I strive for perfection. I really wish I could control this, but I can't. If something isn't perfect, I have to redo it until it is. Also, some people think of being gifted as a bad and abnormal thing. In my own life, I can relate to is very easily, because people judge me by the way I look and act outside of school and they judge me. They figure that I'm just some dumb girl. Though, in reality, I feel like there's a lot more to me than my appearance. I just wish that being "gifted" was considered a normal thing, and not something that should be a big deal. Being gifted and talented should be thought of as "cool" and " by your friends, and not "weird" or "stupid." 

   Within this topic, there are many myths and misunderstandings about being gifted and talented, and they are clearly stated on the website of National Association for Gifted Children. For example, people assume that gifted children don't need extra help. The truth behind this myth is that this is entirely wrong. For me personally, I need help. Whether I ask the teacher, or do some google searches at home, I need help to succeed. Another myth is that everybody is gifted. When looking at this myth, I can uncover that while everybody has a special ability and attribute, not everybody is gifted. The last myth I picked, was that gifted children are "nerds" and "losers". The truth to this myth is very far off. While students can be gifted and very smart, it does not automatically classify them as an outcast. Everybody has so much to offer, including me, and I'm honestly tired of being judged. I wish schools weren't classified with labels, and everybody could just go about their day and pick the classes according to their abilities. I'm sure that this class could be about twice the size it is, but some kids are scared of being labeled a "loser." Being gifted is not something to be ashamed of, as uncovered from this myth.




sources:
-----------------

http://nagc.org/commonmyths.aspx

http://specialed.about.com/od/iep/u/formsandreports.htm

1 comment: