Wednesday, January 9, 2013

GT Seminar I: The DNA Dilemma: A Test That Could Change Your Life

After reading the TIME article, "The DNA Dilemma: A Test That Could Change Your Life," I feel like I have a different perspective of DNA testing, and what doctors reveal to their patients. The article was all about how when some doctors are doing genetic testing for a certain disease, they sometimes find different diseases as well. Doctors follow a "do no harm" policy, and weigh the pros and cons to ensure they are making the right decision. Sometimes, the right decision can also be the wrong decision.

Some parents say they want to know everything, and some say they want to know nothing. People are very different with these choices. Most want to know everything about their children, which I understand. However, they don't inform their kids. How can you keep something so big from your children? I feel that as soon as they are old enough to comprehend the diseases that they are diagnosed with, they should be told of what's going on.

As a doctor, while I understand their perspective, I disagree. When reading this article, I read a story about a doctor who didn't tell a family of their newborn's fate of dementia at age 40. His reasoning, was that if he spoke up, they'd never be able to get health insurance for him. I do understand their reasoning, but I disagree. While it may sound like he's doing them a favor, he's really not. What about when the kid starts developing symptoms. Will the original doctor be blamed? Could it have been avoided by early detection? I think everyone has the right to know their own body.

When it comes to me, I am pretty different than most people. I'm not that scared of dying. I feel that when my time comes (hopefully a long time down the road) it should come. I want to know about any diseases or complications that I may encounter at any point in my life. It's my body, so I feel I should know. For example, if I were diagnosed with a disease that would succumb me withing the next month, I'd know what to do. I'd be vacationing, skydiving, and doing anything that I want. I want to know when I'll die and any complications, so I can live my life to its fullest potential. I may sound repetitive, but it's my body, and I feel I shouldn't be oblivious to what's going on inside my own body.

1 comment: